It’s been over a year since we finished the ADU and got final approvals. The holidays hit and life/work got in the way of me updating everything. So, in the next couple of weeks, I’ll be updating our house progress. In this post, you’ll finally see the finished project and in the coming weeks you’ll see the landscaping the hubby and I decided to tackle on our own. As you can imagine, this is part of the reason I haven’t been here in a while.
I left off with the cabinets and counters going in….to finish up the project our contractor completed the following:
- kitchen backsplash
- paint the walls/ceiling/trim
- form and pour the concrete for the walkway
- install appliances
- install split unit (heat & AC)
- Painting & updating of main house bathrooms and the teenager’s bedroom (we completed ourselves)
- FINAL INSPECTION – Approved!
All in all the experience of building was definitely a learning process. If you are embarking on a similar project here are just a few things I would recommend:
- Communication is key throughout the entire process!
- Make sure your architect and contractor work together. At minimum show your plans (before submitting) to a contractor to get their input.
- Communicate with your contractor to know when things will be started/completed throughout the entire process.
- Choose tile, counters, appliances, paint colors etc as early as possible.
- Order window treatments early and have them installed when they’re doing the finishing touches
- Think about the small things…like dimmer switches, light fixtures.
Above everything you need PATIENCE. We were fortunate that this was an addition and did not disturb (too much) the main house. In the midst of a pandemic, distance learning and working from home, sometimes the patience needed a little help from tequila, vodka and wine, but all in all it was well worth it!!
Enjoy the final days of construction and the finished ADU